Tuesday, February 28, 2012

If its broke....FIX IT!

So I was watching TV this morning, and there was a commercial with a heavy kid, and his heavy mom. They had just left a Dr. apppointment, wherein the doctor told the mom that the kid was in danger of becoming diabetic. They get in the car, and there's a sports drink, and a pop in the cup holders between the seats. The commercial then went on to tell how much sugar is in those particular drinks, and the mom says something along the lines of  "I didn't figure those drinks were very good"...
Then she looks at the kid and says, "We'll fix this. I wish I had known sooner."
My knee-jerk reaction was "how stupid! Everyone knows that sports drinks and pop are LOADED with crap!" But then I got present to the last line of that commercial, and how powerful it was...and how much easier our lives would flow, if we would just respond to concerns, problems, obstacles and challenging events, if we would just say, "We'll fix this. I wish I had known sooner."

We spend so much time, when we get bad news, or have an 'issue' to worry about or whatever the sitauation might be...so much time getting mad, or pointing a finger, or searching for the source of the problem, or worrying about how it happened, when it happened, or how unfair it is.

Why not just say, "We'll fix this."?
Financial problems. Communication problems. Health problems. Unexpected outcomes. Grades. Chores. Goals not met. All those things, and about a gazillion other things come up in our every day lives, and all too often, we get completely sidelined by them. Getting emotionally wrapped up in the unfairness of it all....or letting the fact that we didn't see it coming, totally knock us off course.
Fine, we didn't see it coming. Or...this isn't how we thought it would go. Or...we feel 'wronged' on some level.

Okay, fine. But NOW WHAT? Wouldn't it be amazing if we could just take the "we'll fix it" mentality, and get straight on making something better, rather than marinating in how 'wrong' or 'hurtful' or whatever the current circumstance appears to be.

The car broke down. Get it fixed. Or find another ride somewhere.
A fight with the spouse. Get it fixed. Clear the air. Get back on track.
Feeling 'blue' today. Get up, get showered, get lovely and go do something for someone else.
Didn't win last night's lottery. Go buy another ticket.
Going through a divorce. Pick up your pieces, re-invent YOURSELF. Find the things that bring you joy, and go do them.

The worst thing we can do for ourselves, and the people around us is to let 'things', events, or experiences get the best of us, and throw us into a funk. That doesn't mean that we cannot or should not let things get to us, but it does mean that when those things happen, FIX them. Don't wollow in something being broken, just fix it!

OH! Speaking of which....I've heard several people tell me that they have tried to comment on this blog, but have not been able to do so. Last night...I FIXED IT :-D Apparently there is a setting on my end, that would allow (or not allow) peeps to comment....and I had "not allow" checked. Apparently.
I think it is okay now, but please let me know if you find yourself unable to comment on this blog. You can send me a text or an e-mail or post on my fb page to let me know. If there's a problem, I'll fix it :-)

I'm running late for work, so I'm going to go FIX THAT, and jump in the shower.
Wishing you all a fantastic day!
Until next time,
Jill

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog Jill, keep it up!
    :) Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jill, changing from Internet Explorer to Google Chrome FIXED my problem of not being able to post a comment on your blog...LOL! Thanks much!

    Connie Clark

    ReplyDelete